Sunday, November 13, 2011

Tool #11 - Self-Assessment and Reflection

Holy cow! I made it through the 11 Tools of Technology! WOW! I can't wait to see what we get in the gym! I'm excited about the xBox KINECT and I can't wait to use it in the gym. The problem is finding a way to use it for all 50+ students, but I know we'll come up with something!

Some of my favorite tools are Google Docs, WordleBig Huge LabsDiscovery Education, WallWisher, and of course Blogger! Wordle is a great way to display key terms about topics we are learning! Discovery Education has great videos we can share with the students about the body and how it works! WallWisher is a tool I have already implemented, as I created an online bulletin board for my Safety Patrols. All I have to do now is give the link to the patrols, and parents so that they can be informed as well! Personally I cannot wait to use Big Huge Labs for the 5th grade graduation slide show! Check out the Pop Art I created with a picture of BCE! I hope to keep up with my blog and use it to communicate with my BCE family and fellow educators.

Should we get iTouches/iPads as part of our technology, then the Calorie Counter app would be a great tool in teaching nutrition! Especially when we have students who have to sit out for medical reasons, such as those who have broken bones or their parents/doctors have sent a note saying they cannot participate during Health Fitness. The iTouch could also be useful to upload the FitnessGRAM cadences used during testing, and the music we use in the gym.

I'm excited about our students getting the chance to use technology in their classrooms! It's great to know that SBISD is trying to stay caught up with the 21st century learner! A lot of children know more about technology than we adults do! The little girl I nanny during the summer is 2 years old, and she already knows what an iPad is and has figured out more about the iPad than her mom! Check out the photo collage of her playing with the iPad! Kids like that are the ones who will rule our world one day!



As I've posted before, because I'm not exactly sure what we're getting in the gym, I can't say that we will need to change much of what we're already doing. One change would be adding the technology component.

There really wasn't any unexpected outcomes from this journey through the 11 Tools. I assumed I would learn about the different tools we are receiving and Web 2.0, and I knew I would be excited about what I would be able to use! The tough part is figuring out how to use what I want to use!

Thanks for reading about my journey into the 21st century! Be sure to stop by often and check out what we're doing in the gym!!!

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations! You and your students will love the Kinect. I just may come out and exercise with you guys one day--I need it! I am confident you will figure out how to use the devices coming to you soon. Your enthusiasm for learning is contagious. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sheri! You are more than welcome to join us...with or without the Kinect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! You are the guru of technology so should not be surprised that you have completed 11 Tools. I'm sure that you will just file all of these new ideas and technology skills in your mind for future use. When the day arrives, and you want to incorporate technology, you 'll be able to use them to enhance your class and provide your students with great technology instruction. All students will be lucky to have you as their teacher.
    Good luck,keep posting and keep helping those who are in need. Thanks for your help.

    ReplyDelete