Thursday, November 10, 2011

Tool #5 - Web 2.0

For my first Web 2.0 tool I chose to use Wordle, which I have used before. Mrs. Lee introduced me to Wordle last year and I used it to make a water safety vocabulary sheet. So, I thought I would use it again but try the advanced option. In the advanced option you can choose the size of each word, as I did, or you can choose the size and color of the words. To choose the color you have to know the hex colors (hexadecimal color codes for HTML) and I did not want to have to look those up!

Wordle: Hockey VocabularyFor my wordle I decided to go with a hockey theme. Not only is hockey one of my favorite games we play in the gym, but it's also on the brain because I'm going to the Aeros game on Sunday with one of my best buds. So, for this wordle I made HOCKEY the focus point and all the words around it are common hockey terms. Wordle can be a great asset to learn terminology for different subjects!  I just might have to use it in conjuction with our Health Fitness Word Wall. (My wordle also came in handy as decoration for wrapping a gift too! I just printed it out, cut around the words and taped it to the white wrapping paper!)

I used Big Huge Labs to create a jigsaw puzzle out of the My Plate picture. My Plate is a new visual to show portion control. Food should be enjoyed, but oversized portions should be avoided! My Plate is easier for young children to understand in comparison with the Food Pyramid, but if we teach the food pyramid and My Plate, they'll understand healthy eating even better!

BHL is a great way to transform regular pictures into amazing graphics! I could personally use this when I make the 5th grade slide show! I think I'm a little excited about this now!

The Technology Journey continues....on to Tool #6...

No comments:

Post a Comment