Saturday, November 12, 2011

Tool #9 - Incorporating Classroom-Based Devices in the Classroom

I love Sir Ken Robinson's video on why schools need to change in order to fit the needs of our students. I saw it just a few months ago, in fact I shared with our principal and counselor.

Why is it important to tie the technology with the objective?
The technology piece must be tied in with the objective so that the students can better understand the importance of why they are using technology to make sense of what they are learning.

Why should students be held accountable for the stations/centers?
If students are participating in online discussions about the task/project/lesson then they are taking responsiblity for their learning, and they are taking their learning to the next step. If our goal is to make every student college ready, then taking responsiblity for their learning is key, and it will be useful as they move on.

I don't know if we're getting netbooks in the gym, but I did check out  Learning Games for Kids. I clicked on the Brain Games link and found Hand-Eye coordination games. Under the Health Games link I found games dealing with allergies, body parts, dental, and staying fit!

I looked at the iTouch/iPad apps and found several that we could use! Calorie Counter would be a great app to use while teaching nutrition! RunKeeper Pro would be another great app for the students to use to keep track of their mileage on the track. It could definitely be useful for the collaborative project I wrote about in Tool #7.

On to Tool #10...I'm almost done!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, great oint of views. I enjoyed checking out Learning Games for Kids and plan on using it in my classroom. (the math multiplication flash cards especially since that is what we are doing right now.
    Great for a center.
    Technology is hard to incorporate without proper tools for the kids too. Hopefully our school can keep moving toward that goal. I also hope to have some independent learning centers in my room as reinforcement while I am with small groups.
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete